Steve Wilson. On music.

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Thus Continues the Top 25 for 2010 Countdown (with No. 21)

Welcome to the top 25 for 2010 Countdown! Each day we'll countdown, today we continue with number 21, culminating with our (okay, my) numero uno album of the year. When they're handy I'll borrow my earlier reviews from the KC Free Press, as I have in this case. In the event one of my top 25 selections isn't something I've reviewed previously I'll dash off a new review.


I welcome all comments, criticisms, questions and dialog in general.

25. Jon Langford - Old Devils (Bloodshot)
24. Vaselines - Sex with an X (Sub Pop)
23. Drive-By Truckers - The Big To-Do (ATO)
22. Magnetic Fields - Realism (Nonesuch)
21. Dum Dum Girls - I Will Be (Sub Pop)
photo

The Dum Dum Girls’ (the name is an homage to the Vaselines and Iggy Pop) I Will Be reconfigures a Sixties Girl Group ethos with a post-modern distortion palette that’s initially reminiscent of bands like the Jesus and Mary Chain. But the sound that Dee Dee (real name: Kristen Gundred) and fabled producer Richard Gottehrer go for here is an abstractly distortion-driven sound. The loud, fuzzy guitars are not out front in the mix like a typical punk-rock record — instead they hover like ghosts around the edges of Dee Dee’s out-front, heavily reverbed vocals. The effect is as unsettling as it is seductive.
None of this production talk would matter a whit if Dee Dee’s songs didn’t measure up. They do. Her melodies stick with you, and lyrically she ranges from the addled Breeders-meet-Ramones delivery of “Bhang, Bhang, I’m a Burnout” to the Shangri-Las styled narrative of “Jail La La,” and the sweet history-of-our-love confessions of “Yours Alone” (featuring the Yeah Yeah Yeah’s Nick Zinner on guitar). Her duet with boy-pal Brandon Welchez from the Crocodiles, ”Blank Girl,” has a charm reminiscent of the Mary Chain’s offshoot Sister Vanilla. You get the feeling that the late Ellie Greenwich would dig Dee Dee’s songs. Greenwich was a Brill Building student, but her confident girl power anthems were rebel songs of a kind. The Dum Dum Girls walk the line between sweet submission and self-assertion keenly.

Richard Gottehrer, the man who wrote “I Want Candy” and “My Boyfriend’s Back,” and who’s produced artists like Blondie, the Go-Gos and Richard Hell, has the perfect ears for the Dum Dum Girls’ vision. Having produced the Raveonettes, who thrive on somewhat similar inspirations, it would have been easy for him to replicate their sound here. Instead, he went for something more dense and ethereal.
Since this recording, Dee Dee, who plays and sings everything on I Will Be except for contributions from three guest guitarists, has assembled a band to take on the road. It will be interesting to see if they can approach the dense, spectral sound achieved on this record. The only song on I Will Be exceeding three minutes is a masterfully dark cover of Sonny Bono’s "Baby Don’t Go,” so they will probably be playing pretty short sets.

I was intrigued by the DDG before I heard a note, having seen the album’s cover photo reproduced for a poster. It’s a 1972 Polaroid of Dee Dee’s mom glancing back as her picture is being taken. She has a pretty, every-girl look of surprise — slack-jawed, but wise to the game. It’s knowing, evocative and suggests the alluring mix of confidence and vulnerability that I Will Be exudes.

Reverberating: 8.2 (original), upgraded to 8.7

No comments: